Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to necessity: certainty
ne•ces•si•ty(nəˈsɛs ɪ ti)
n., pl. -ties.
See Also: IMPORTANCE/UNIMPORTANCE
- Crucial as the last game of the World Series —Anon
- Essential as marrow —Curtis White
- I need it like I need a hole in the head —Anon
A Yiddish simile, typical of the colorful irony that has caused so many Jewish immigrant expressions to become integrated into American English.
- Necessary and invisible like drafts of oxygen —Thomas Lux
- Necessary as water to a healthy lawn —Anon
- Necessary as a gardener to his garden —John Ray’s Proverbs
- Necessary as an anesthesiologist to an operation —Mary Morris
- Necessary as applause to an actor —Anon
- Necessary as a saw to a carpenter —Anon
- Necessary as bytes to a computer —Anon
- Necessary as Christmas to retailers —Anon
- Necessary as eggs in an omelette —Anon
- Necessary as gas to a car —Anon
- Necessary as good lines to a play —Anon
- Necessary as markings on a scale or a thermometer —Anon
- Necessary as a paycheck to a worker —Anon
- Necessary as practice to a musician —Anon
- Necessary as quartz for a digital watch —Anon
- Necessary as snow to a ski weekend —Anon
- Necessary as sturdy shoes to a runner —Anon
- Necessary as sunshine to a garden —Anon
- Necessary as wages —John Braine
- Necessary as workouts to an athlete —Anon
- Necessary as work to a workaholic —Anon
- (Men are as) necessary to her survival as water —Patricia Henley
- Need as a dog needs a pocket handkerchief —Anon
“Need as” similes with opposite meanings lend themselves to endless variations.
See Also: USELESSNESS
- Needed a ten minute head start like Sinatra needed singing lessons —John Lutz
- Need … like a fish needs a bicycle —Robert B. Parker
- Needs as a dog needs two tails —American colloquialism, attributed to New England
The exact wording of this, as with anything handed down through common usage varies with each user; for example, a popular variation of the same theme is “He don’t need it any more than a dog needs two tails.”
- Need … to simplify, almost like some painfully obese gourmet craving a stay at a health farm —John Fowles
- Something she needs like a new navel —Richard Ford
- As superfluous as a Gideon’s Bible at the Ritz —F. Scott Fitzgerald
- Superfluous as to light as a candle to the sun —Robert South
- Unnecessary like rubbish —Henia Karmel-Wolfe
|Noun||1.||necessity - the condition of being essential or indispensable|
need, demand - a condition requiring relief; "she satisfied his need for affection"; "God has no need of men to accomplish His work"; "there is a demand for jobs"
requisiteness - the state of being absolutely required
urgency - the state of being urgent; an earnest and insistent necessity
|2.||necessity - anything indispensable; "food and shelter are necessities of life"; "the essentials of the good life"; "allow farmers to buy their requirements under favorable conditions"; "a place where the requisites of water fuel and fodder can be obtained"|
thing - a separate and self-contained entity
desideratum - something desired as a necessity; "the desiderata for a vacation are time and money"
must - a necessary or essential thing; "seat belts are an absolute must"
"Necessity is the mother of invention" [Jonathan Swift Gulliver's Travels]
"Necessity never made a good bargain" [Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac]
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom; it is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves" [William Pitt speech]
"You make a virtue of necessity" [Saint Jerome Apologeticum adversus Rufinum]
"Give us the luxuries of life, and we will dispense with its necessities" [John Lothrop Motley]
"Necessity knows no law"
"Needs must when the devil drives"
I don't see the necessity of it → no veo la necesidad de eso
there is no necessity for you to do it → no es necesario que lo hagas
she works from economic necessity → trabaja por necesidad
of necessity → necesariamente, forzosamente, por fuerza
out of sheer necessity → por pura necesidad
necessity is the mother of invention → la necesidad agudiza el ingenio
necessities such as food and clothing were in short supply → escaseaban artículos de primera necesidad tales como la comida y la ropa
the basic necessities of life → las necesidades básicas (de la vida)
see also bare A3
the necessity to do sth → la nécessité de faire qch
Young people must be made aware of the necessity to look after the environment → On doit rendre les jeunes conscients de la nécessité de prendre soin de l'environnement.
there is no necessity to do this → il n'y a pas lieu de faire ça
There is no necessity for us to do anything → Il n'y a pas lieu pour nous de faire quoi que ce soit.
the necessity of doing sth → la nécessité de faire qch
Freed from the necessity of earning a living, he decided to travel → Libéré de la nécessité de gagner sa vie, il décida de voyager.
to be faced with the necessity of doing sth → être placé(e) devant la nécessité de faire qch
to be a matter of necessity → être une question de nécessité
in case of necessity → en cas de nécessité
to do sth out of necessity → faire qch par nécessité
She went to work not through choice but out of necessity → Elle ne travaillait pas par choix, mais par nécessité.
of necessity (= necessarily) → par nécessité
The account given here is of necessity extremely brief → Le récit donné ici est, par nécessité, extrêmement bref.
there is no necessity for you to do that → non è necessario che or non c'è bisogno che tu lo faccia
the necessity of doing sth → la necessità di fare qc
is there any necessity? → è proprio necessario?, c'è proprio bisogno?
of necessity → di necessità, necessariamente
from or out of necessity → per necessità or bisogno
in case of necessity → in caso di necessità