Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
n. pl. needlefish or nee·dle·fish·es
1. Any of various marine fishes of the family Belonidae, having slender bodies and long thin jaws with sharp teeth. Also called garfish.
2. Any of various other slender fishes, such as a pipefish or a sand lance.
n, pl -fish or -fishes
1. (Animals) any ferocious teleost fish of the family Belonidae of warm and tropical regions, having an elongated body and long toothed jaws
2. (Animals) another name for pipefish
n., pl. (esp. collectively) -fish, (esp. for kinds or species) -fish•es.
1. any warm-water marine fish of the family Belonidae, having long-toothed jaws.
2. a pipefish.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||needlefish - elongate European surface-dwelling predacious fishes with long toothed jaws; abundant in coastal waters|
Belonidae, family Belonidae - ferocious fishes of warm regions resembling but unrelated to the freshwater gars
timucu - found in warm waters of western Atlantic
|2.||needlefish - fish with long tubular snout and slim body covered with bony plates|
Cosmocampus profundus, deepwater pipefish - a fish 8 inches long; found from eastern Florida to western Caribbean
sea horse, seahorse - small fish with horse-like heads bent sharply downward and curled tails; swim in upright position