transcription(redirected from nested set transcription)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. The act or process of transcribing.
2. Something that has been transcribed, especially:
a. Music An adaptation of a composition.
b. A recorded radio or television program.
c. Linguistics A representation of speech sounds in phonetic symbols.
3. Genetics The synthesis of messenger RNA from a DNA template through the formation of base pairs, resulting in a transfer of genetic information that codes for amino acid sequences composing proteins.
1. the act or an instance of transcribing or the state of being transcribed
2. something transcribed
3. (Phonetics & Phonology) a representation in writing of the actual pronunciation of a speech sound, word, or piece of continuous text, using not a conventional orthography but a symbol or set of symbols specially designated as standing for corresponding phonetic values
tranˈscriptional, tranˈscriptive adj
tranˈscriptionally, tranˈscriptively adv
1. the act or process of transcribing.
2. something transcribed.
3. a transcript; copy.
4. the arrangement of a musical composition for a medium other than that for which it was orig. written.
5. a recording made esp. for broadcasting on radio or television.
6. Genetics. the process by which messenger RNA is synthesized on a template of DNA.
The process in a cell by which genetic material is copied from a strand of DNA to a complementary strand of RNA (called messenger RNA). Transcription takes place in the nucleus before messenger RNA is transported to the ribosomes, the places in the cell where proteins are made.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||transcription - something written, especially copied from one medium to another, as a typewritten version of dictation|
black and white, written communication, written language - communication by means of written symbols (either printed or handwritten)
transliteration - a transcription from one alphabet to another
phonetic transcription - a transcription intended to represent each distinct speech sound with a separate symbol
|2.||transcription - (genetics) the organic process whereby the DNA sequence in a gene is copied into mRNA; the process whereby a base sequence of messenger RNA is synthesized on a template of complementary DNA|
|3.||transcription - a sound or television recording (e.g., from a broadcast to a tape recording)|
recording - a storage device on which information (sounds or images) have been recorded
|4.||transcription - the act of arranging and adapting a piece of music|
rearrangement - changing an arrangement
orchestration, instrumentation - the act of arranging a piece of music for an orchestra and assigning parts to the different musical instruments
orchestration - an arrangement of events that attempts to achieve a maximum effect; "the skillful orchestration of his political campaign"
|5.||transcription - the act of making a record (especially an audio record); "she watched the recording from a sound-proof booth"|
creating from raw materials - the act of creating something that is different from the materials that went into it
lip sync, lip synch, lip synchronisation, lip synchronization - combining audio and video recording in such a way that the sound is perfectly synchronized with the action that produced it; especially synchronizing the movements of a speaker's lips with the sound of his speech
mastering - the act of making a master recording from which copies can be made; "he received a bill for mastering the concert and making 100 copies"
tape record - record with a tape recorder
prerecord - record before presentation, as of a broadcast
accession - make a record of additions to a collection, such as a library
delete, erase - wipe out digitally or magnetically recorded information; "Who erased the files form my hard disk?"