nettle(redirected from nettly)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia.
1. Any of various plants of the genus Urtica, having toothed leaves, unisexual apetalous flowers, and stinging hairs that cause skin irritation on contact.
2. Any of various hairy, stinging, or prickly plants.
tr.v. net·tled, net·tling, net·tles
1. To sting with or as if with a nettle.
2. To irritate; vex.
1. (Plants) any weedy plant of the temperate urticaceous genus Urtica, such as U. dioica (stinging nettle), having serrated leaves with stinging hairs and greenish flowers
2. (Plants) any of various other urticaceous plants with stinging hairs or spines
3. (Plants) any of various plants that resemble urticaceous nettles, such as the dead-nettle, hemp nettle, and horse nettle
4. grasp the nettle to attempt or approach something with boldness and courage
5. to bother; irritate
6. to sting as a nettle does
[Old English netele; related to Old High German nazza (German Nessel)]
n., v. -tled, -tling. n.
1. any plant of the genus Urtica, covered with stinging hairs.
2. any of various similar plants.v.t.
3. to irritate, annoy, or provoke.
4. to sting as a nettle does.
[before 900; Middle English; Old English netele (n.); c. Old Saxon netila, Old High German nezzila (German Nessel), early Swedish netla]
Past participle: nettled
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||nettle - any of numerous plants having stinging hairs that cause skin irritation on contact (especially of the genus Urtica or family Urticaceae)|
stinging nettle, Urtica dioica - perennial Eurasian nettle established in North America having broad coarsely toothed leaves with copious stinging hairs
Roman nettle, Urtica pipulifera - annual European nettle with stinging foliage and small clusters of green flowers
Laportea canadensis, wood nettle - American perennial herb found in rich woods and provided with stinging hairs; provides fibers used for textiles
clearweed, Pilea pumilla, richweed, dead nettle - a plants of the genus Pilea having drooping green flower clusters and smooth translucent stems and leaves
artillery plant, Pilea microphylla - tropical American stingless nettle that discharges its pollen explosively
friendship plant, panamica, panamiga, Pilea involucrata - low stingless nettle of Central and South America having velvety brownish-green toothed leaves and clusters of small green flowers
weed - any plant that crowds out cultivated plants
|Verb||1.||nettle - sting with or as with nettles and cause a stinging pain or sensation|
urticate - whip with or as with nettles
|2.||nettle - cause annoyance in; disturb, especially by minor irritations; "Mosquitoes buzzing in my ear really bothers me"; "It irritates me that she never closes the door after she leaves"|
get under one's skin, get - irritate; "Her childish behavior really get to me"; "His lying really gets me"
eat into, rankle, grate, fret - gnaw into; make resentful or angry; "The injustice rankled her"; "his resentment festered"
chafe - feel extreme irritation or anger; "He was chafing at her suggestion that he stay at home while she went on a vacation"
peeve - cause to be annoyed, irritated, or resentful
ruffle - trouble or vex; "ruffle somebody's composure"
fret - cause annoyance in
beset, chevvy, chevy, chivvy, chivy, harass, harry, hassle, molest, plague, provoke - annoy continually or chronically; "He is known to harry his staff when he is overworked"; "This man harasses his female co-workers"
displease - give displeasure to
cây tầm ma
n → Nesselausschlag m
a type of plant covered with hairs that cause a painful rash if touched. brandnetel حَشيش القُرّاص коприва urtiga kopřiva die Nessel nælde τσουκνίδαortiga nõges انواع گزنه تيغى گزنده nokkonen ortie סִירפָּד बिच्छू का पेड़ kopriva csalán jelatang netla ortica いらくさの類 쐐기풀 dilgėlė nātre menjengkelkan netelneslepokrzywa يو ډول تيغ urtiga urzică крапива pŕhľava kopriva kopriva nässla ต้นไม้ป่าที่มีขนตามใบให้เจ็บ ๆ คัน ๆ ısırgan otu 蕁麻 кропива خاردار پودا cây tầm ma 荨麻