nonpareil(redirected from Nonpareils)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Having no equal; peerless: the Yankees' nonpareil center fielder.
2. Designating the smallest, most flavorful variety of pickled caper.
1. A person or thing that has no equal; a paragon.
a. A small pellet of variously colored sugar used to decorate or give texture to sweets.
b. A small, flat chocolate drop covered with these pellets.
1. a person or thing that is unsurpassed or unmatched; peerless example
2. (Printing, Lithography & Bookbinding) (formerly) a size of printers' type equal to 6 point
3. (Cookery) US a small bead of coloured sugar used to decorate cakes, biscuits, etc
4. (Cookery) chiefly US a flat round piece of chocolate covered with this sugar
having no match or equal; peerless
[C15: from French, from non- + pareil same]
1. having no equal; peerless.n.
2. a person or thing having no equal.
3. a pellet of colored sugar for decorating candy, cakes, or cookies.
4. a bite-sized disk of chocolate covered with these pellets.
a. a 6-point type.
b. a slug occupying 6 points between lines.
[1400–50; < Middle French nonpareil=non- non- + pareil equal < Latin pari- (s. of pār) equal]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||nonpareil - model of excellence or perfection of a kind; one having no equal|
class act - someone who shows impressive and stylish excellence
humdinger - someone of remarkable excellence; "a humdinger of a secretary"
|2.||nonpareil - colored beads of sugar used as a topping on e.g. candies and cookies|
|3.||nonpareil - a flat disk of chocolate covered with beads of colored sugar|
chocolate candy - candy made with chocolate
|Adj.||1.||nonpareil - eminent beyond or above comparison; "matchless beauty"; "the team's nonpareil center fielder"; "she's one girl in a million"; "the one and only Muhammad Ali"; "a peerless scholar"; "infamy unmatched in the Western world"; "wrote with unmatchable clarity"; "unrivaled mastery of her art"|
incomparable, uncomparable - such that comparison is impossible; unsuitable for comparison or lacking features that can be compared; "an incomparable week of rest and pleasure"; "the computer proceeds with its incomparable logic and efficiency"; "this report is incomparable with the earlier ones because of different breakdowns of the data"