nostrum(redirected from nostrums)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Related to nostrums: equipoise
1. A medicine whose effectiveness is unproved and whose ingredients are usually secret; a quack remedy.
2. A favorite but usually ineffective remedy for problems or evils.
1. a patent or quack medicine
2. a favourite remedy, as for political or social problems
[C17: from Latin: our own (make), from noster our]
1. a medicine sold with false or exaggerated claims; quack medicine.
2. a pet scheme or remedy, esp. for social or political ills; panacea.
3. a medicine made by the person who recommends it; proprietary medicine.
[1595–1605; < Latin nostrum our, ours (neuter singular of noster); alluding to the use of the word on labels with the sense “of our own making”]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||nostrum - hypothetical remedy for all ills or diseases; once sought by the alchemists|
elixir - a substance believed to cure all ills
|2.||nostrum - patent medicine whose efficacy is questionable|
patent medicine - medicine that is protected by a patent and available without a doctor's prescription