Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. One that is first in rank, order, or importance.
2. Slang One's own interests; oneself: watching out for number one.
a. The act of urinating.
1. First in rank, order, or importance: the number one team in the nation; our number one problem.
2. Foremost in quality; first-rate: bought some number one farmland.
1. the first in a series or sequence
3. informal the most important person; leader, chief: he's number one in the organization.
4. informal the bestselling pop record in any one week
5. euphemistic the act or an instance of urination
6. (Hairdressing & Grooming) a haircut in which the hair is cut very close to the head with an electric shaver
7. first in importance, urgency, quality, etc: number one priority.
8. informal (of a pop record) having reached the top of the charts
1. oneself, esp. one's own well-being.adj.
2. of the highest quality; first-rate: a number one performance.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||number one - a reference to yourself or myself etc.; `take care of number one' means to put your own interests first|
colloquialism - a colloquial expression; characteristic of spoken or written communication that seeks to imitate informal speech
self - a person considered as a unique individual; "one's own self"
|2.||number one - the first or highest in an ordering or series; "He wanted to be the first"|
former - the first of two or the first mentioned of two; "Tom and Dick were both heroes but only the former is remembered today"
rank - relative status; "his salary was determined by his rank and seniority"
|3.||number one - the first element in a countable series; "the first of the month"|