Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to old man: old boy
1. Slang One's father.
2. Slang One's husband or boyfriend.
a. A man in authority; a boss.
b. often Old Man The commanding officer, especially of a US naval vessel.
4. See southernwood.
2. (sometimes capitals) informal a man in command, such as an employer, foreman, or captain of a ship
3. sometimes facetious an affectionate term used in addressing a man
4. (Plants) another name for southernwood
a. an adult male kangaroo
b. (as modifier) very large
6. (Ecclesiastical Terms) Christianity the unregenerate aspect of human nature
1. one's father.
2. one's husband.
3. one's boyfriend or male lover.
4. (sometimes caps.) a person in authority, as an employer or a commanding officer (prec. by the).
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||old man - a man who is very old |
adult male, man - an adult person who is male (as opposed to a woman); "there were two women and six men on the bus"
patriarch - a man who is older and higher in rank than yourself
|2.||old man - a familiar term of address for a man|
|3.||old man - an informal term for your father|
dysphemism - an offensive or disparaging expression that is substituted for an inoffensive one; "his favorite dysphemism was to ask for axle grease when he wanted butter"
|4.||old man - aromatic herb of temperate Eurasia and North Africa having a bitter taste used in making the liqueur absinthe|
genus Artemisia - usually aromatic shrubs or herbs of north temperate regions and South Africa and western South America: wormwood; sagebrush; mugwort; tarragon
wormwood - any of several low composite herbs of the genera Artemisia or Seriphidium
|5.||old man - (slang) boss|
jargon, lingo, patois, argot, vernacular, slang, cant - a characteristic language of a particular group (as among thieves); "they don't speak our lingo"
U.S.A., United States, United States of America, US, USA, America, the States, U.S. - North American republic containing 50 states - 48 conterminous states in North America plus Alaska in northwest North America and the Hawaiian Islands in the Pacific Ocean; achieved independence in 1776
1. senior citizen, grandfather (slang), patriarch, old age pensioner, old person, old-timer (U.S.), elder, elder statesman, wrinkly (informal), old codger (informal), old stager, greybeard, coffin-dodger (slang), oldster (informal), O.A.P. (Brit.) a wizened, bent-over old man
2. (Informal) father, pop (informal), dad (informal), daddy (informal), pa (informal), old boy (informal), papa (old-fashioned informal), pater, paterfamilias My old man used to work down the mines.
3. husband, man (informal), partner, mate, squeeze (informal), spouse, significant other (U.S. informal), better half (humorous), bidie-in (Scot.) Luckily for me her old man was otherwise engaged.