operable(redirected from operability)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Being such that use or operation is possible: an operable machine.
2. Possible to put into practice; practicable: an operable plan.
3. Treatable by surgical operation with a reasonable degree of safety and chance of success: an operable cancer.
1. (Surgery) capable of being treated by a surgical operation
2. capable of being operated
3. capable of being put into practice
op•er•a•ble(ˈɒp ər ə bəl, ˈɒp rə-)
1. treatable by a surgical operation. Compare inoperable (def. 2).
2. capable of being put into use, operation, or practice.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||operable - capable of being treated by surgical operation; "an operable cancer"|
inoperable - not suitable for surgery; "metastasis has rendered the tumor inoperable"
|2.||operable - fit or ready for use or service; "the toaster was still functional even after being dropped"; "the lawnmower is a bit rusty but still usable"; "an operational aircraft"; "the dishwasher is now in working order"|
serviceable - ready for service or able to give long service; "serviceable equipment"; "heavy serviceable fabrics"
|3.||operable - usable for a specific purpose; "an operable plan"; "a practicable solution"|
practical - concerned with actual use or practice; "he is a very practical person"; "the idea had no practical application"; "a practical knowledge of Japanese"; "woodworking is a practical art"