Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to operations: operations research
1. The act or process of operating or functioning.
2. The state of being operative or functional: a factory in operation.
3. A process or series of acts involved in a particular form of work: the operation of building a house.
4. An instance or method of efficient, productive activity: That restaurant is quite an operation.
5. An unethical or illegal business: a fencing operation for stolen goods.
6. Medicine A surgical procedure for remedying an injury, ailment, defect, or dysfunction.
7. Mathematics A process or action, such as addition, substitution, transposition, or differentiation, performed in a specified sequence and in accordance with specific rules.
8. A logical operation.
9. Computers An action resulting from a single instruction.
a. A military or naval action, campaign, or mission.
b. operations The headquarters or center from which a military action, flights into and out of an airfield, or other activities are controlled.
11. operations The division of an organization that carries out the major planning and operating functions.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||operations - financial transactions at a brokerage; having to do with the execution of trades and keeping customer records|
transaction, dealing, dealings - the act of transacting within or between groups (as carrying on commercial activities); "no transactions are possible without him"; "he has always been honest is his dealings with me"