optimize(redirected from optimized)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
tr.v. op·ti·mized, op·ti·miz·ing, op·ti·miz·es
1. To make as perfect or effective as possible.
2. Computers To increase the computing speed and efficiency of (a program), as by rewriting instructions.
3. To make the most of.
op′ti·mi·za′tion (-mĭ-zā′shən) n.
1. (tr) to take the full advantage of
2. (Commerce) (tr) to plan or carry out (an economic activity) with maximum efficiency
3. (intr) to be optimistic
4. (Computer Science) (tr) to write or modify (a computer program) to achieve maximum efficiency in storage capacity, time, cost, etc
5. (tr) to find the best compromise among several often conflicting requirements, as in engineering design
ˌoptimiˈzation, ˌoptimiˈsation n
v. -mized, -miz•ing. v.t.
1. to make as effective, perfect, or useful as possible.
2. to make the best of.
3. to write or rewrite (the instructions in a computer program) for maximum efficiency and speed in retrieval, storage, or execution.
4. Math. to determine the maximum or minimum values of (a specified function that is subject to a set of constraints).v.i.
5. to be optimistic.
Past participle: optimized
Switch to new thesaurus
|Verb||1.||optimize - make optimal; get the most out of; use best; "optimize your resources"|
|2.||optimize - modify to achieve maximum efficiency in storage capacity or time or cost; "optimize a computer program"|
modify - make less severe or harsh or extreme; "please modify this letter to make it more polite"; "he modified his views on same-gender marriage"
|3.||optimize - act as an optimist and take a sunny view of the world|