Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
or·chil(ôr′kĭl, -chĭl) also ar·chil (är′-)
1. Any of several lichens, chiefly of the genus Roccella, from which a dye is obtained.
2. The violet dyestuff obtained from any of these lichens.
[Middle English orchell, ultimately from Old Catalan orxella, from Andalusian dialectal Arabic 'urjālla, of Mozarabic origin, ultimately from Latin ōricilla, a little ear (probably from the resemblance of the lichens to growths on the fetlocks of mules, somewhat resembling little ears ), diminutive of auris, ear; see auricle.]
orchil(ˈɔːkɪl; -tʃɪl) or
1. (Plants) any of various lichens, esp any of the genera Roccella, Dendrographa, and Lecanora
2. (Dyeing) Also called: cudbear a purplish dye obtained by treating these lichens with aqueous ammonia: contains orcinol, orcein, and litmus
[C15: from Old French orcheil, of uncertain origin]
or•chil(ˈɔr kɪl, -tʃɪl)
1. a violet-red dye obtained from certain lichens.
2. any lichen yielding this dye.
[1475–85; < Middle French orcheil, orseil (French orseille) < Catalan orxella, orcella < Mozarabic orchella]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||orchil - a purplish dye obtained from orchil lichens|
|2.||orchil - any of various lecanoras that yield the dye archil|
genus Lecanora - type genus of Lecanoraceae; crustaceous lichens
lecanora - any lichen of the genus Lecanora; some used in dyeing; some used for food