Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to orthogonal: orthogonal projection, Orthogonal matrix, Orthogonal vectors
1. Relating to or composed of right angles.
a. Of or relating to a matrix whose transpose equals its inverse.
b. Of or relating to a linear transformation that preserves the length of vectors.
3. Very different or unrelated; sharply divergent: "Radical Islamists are ultimately seeking to create something orthogonal to our model of democracy" (Richard A. Clarke).
or·thog′o·nal′i·ty (-năl′ĭ-tē) n.
1. (Mathematics) relating to, consisting of, or involving right angles; perpendicular
2. (Mathematics) maths
a. (of a pair of vectors) having a defined scalar product equal to zero
b. (of a pair of functions) having a defined product equal to zero
or•thog•o•nal(ɔrˈθɒg ə nl)
1. Also, orthographic. Math. pertaining to or involving right angles or perpendiculars.
2. Crystall. referable to a rectangular set of axes.
[1565–75; obsolete orthogon(ium) right triangle]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||orthogonal - not pertinent to the matter under consideration; "an issue extraneous to the debate"; "the price was immaterial"; "mentioned several impertinent facts before finally coming to the point"|
irrelevant - having no bearing on or connection with the subject at issue; "an irrelevant comment"; "irrelevant allegations"
|2.||orthogonal - statistically unrelated|
unrelated - lacking a logical or causal relation
|3.||orthogonal - having a set of mutually perpendicular axes; meeting at right angles; "wind and sea may displace the ship's center of gravity along three orthogonal axes"; "a rectangular Cartesian coordinate system"|
perpendicular - intersecting at or forming right angles; "the axes are perpendicular to each other"