outstrip(redirected from outstrips)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal.
tr.v. out·stripped, out·strip·ping, out·strips
1. To move past or ahead of: outstripped the other runners on the last lap.
2. To be greater than or superior to; exceed or surpass: Her new book outstripped the sales of all her previous ones combined. See Synonyms at excel.
vb (tr) , -strips, -stripping or -stripped
1. to surpass in a sphere of activity, competition, etc
2. to be or grow greater than
3. to go faster than and leave behind
v.t. -stripped, -strip•ping.
1. to outdo; surpass; excel.
2. to pass in running or swift travel.
3. to get ahead of in or as if in a race.
4. to exceed.
Past participle: outstripped
Switch to new thesaurus
|Verb||1.||outstrip - be or do something to a greater degree; "her performance surpasses that of any other student I know"; "She outdoes all other athletes"; "This exceeds all my expectations"; "This car outperforms all others in its class"|
beat, beat out, vanquish, trounce, crush, shell - come out better in a competition, race, or conflict; "Agassi beat Becker in the tennis championship"; "We beat the competition"; "Harvard defeated Yale in the last football game"
outsmart, outwit, overreach, circumvent, outfox, beat - beat through cleverness and wit; "I beat the traffic"; "She outfoxed her competitors"
outgrow - grow faster than
outroar - roar louder than
outsail - sail faster or better than; "They outsailed the Roman fleet"
outdraw - draw a gun faster, or best someone in a gunfight
outsell - sell more than others; "This salesman outsells his colleagues"
outsell - be sold more often than other, similar products; "The new Toyota outsells the Honda by a wide margin"
outpace - surpass in speed; "Malthus believed that population increase would outpace increases in the means of subsistence"
outshine - attract more attention and praise than others; "This film outshone all the others in quality"
outrange - have a greater range than (another gun)
outweigh - be heavier than
outbrave - be braver than
out-herod - surpass someone in cruelty or evil
outfox - outdo someone in trickery
shame - surpass or beat by a wide margin
outmarch - march longer distances and for a longer time than; "This guy can outmarch anyone!"
outwear - last longer than others; "This material outwears all others"
|2.||outstrip - go far ahead of; "He outdistanced the other runners"|
leave behind - depart and not take along; "He left behind all his possessions when he moved to Europe"
1. exceed, eclipse, overtake, top, cap (informal), go beyond, surpass, outdo In 1989 and 1990 demand outstripped supply.
2. surpass (informal), beat, leave behind, eclipse, overtake, best, top, better, overshadow, outdo, outclass, outperform, outshine, leave standing (informal), tower above, get ahead of, go one better than (informal), run rings around, knock spots off (informal), put in the shade In pursuing her ambition she outstripped everyone else.
يَسْبق، يَتَغَلَّب على المُتَسابِقين
fara hraîar en
pārspēt skriešanā, noskriet
outstrip[ˌaʊtˈstrɪp] vt (also) (fig) → superare
outstrip(autˈstrip) – past tense, past participle outˈstripped – verb
to go much faster than. He outstripped the other runners. oortref, agterlaat, verbyhardloop يَسْبق، يَتَغَلَّب على المُتَسابِقين надминавам ultrapassar předehnat überflügeln løbe fra ξεπερνώdejar atrás, adelantar, correr más rápido que kannult raputama تند تر رفتن jättää jälkeensä devancer לְהַצלִיח יוֹתֶר מ- आगे निकल जाना preteći, prestići megelőz mengalahkan kecepatan fara hraðar en superare 追い抜く …보다 빠르다(뛰어나다) pralenkti pārspēt skriešanā, noskriet (kādu) memotong voorbijstrevenløpe fra, overgåprześcignąć ژر ژرتلل ultrapassar a întrece обгонять predbehnúť prehiteti prestići distansera, springa om, lämna bakom sig อย่างสังเกตเห็นได้ geride bırakmak, geçmek 超過 обганяти, випереджати سبقت لے جانا bỏ xa 超过