Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
tr.v. o·ver·laid (-lād′), o·ver·lay·ing, o·ver·lays
1. To lay or spread over or on.
a. To cover the surface of with a decorative layer or design: overlay wood with silver.
b. To embellish superficially: a simple tune that was overlaid with ornate harmonies.
3. Printing To put an overlay on.
4. To create (a new area code) having the same boundaries as another: In Maryland, area code 240 was overlaid on top of area code 301.
1. Something that is laid over or covers something else.
2. A layer of decoration, such as gold leaf or wood veneer, applied to a surface.
3. Printing A piece of paper used on a press tympan to vary the pressure that produces light and dark tones.
4. A transparent sheet containing graphic matter, such as labels or colored areas, placed on illustrative matter to be incorporated into it.
5. An area code whose boundaries are the same as another area code.
Past tense of overlie.
vb (tr) , -lays, -laying or -laid
1. to lay or place something over or upon (something else)
2. (often foll by with) to cover, overspread, or conceal (with)
3. (Art Terms) (foll by with) to cover (a surface) with an applied decoration: ebony overlaid with silver.
4. (Printing, Lithography & Bookbinding) to achieve the correct printing pressure all over (a forme or plate) by adding to the appropriate areas of the packing
5. something that is laid over something else; covering
6. (Art Terms) an applied decoration or layer, as of gold leaf
7. a transparent sheet giving extra details to a map or diagram over which it is designed to be placed
8. (Printing, Lithography & Bookbinding) printing material, such as paper, used to overlay a forme or plate
o•ver•lay1(v. ˌoʊ vərˈleɪ; n. ˈoʊ vərˌleɪ)
v. -laid, -lay•ing,
1. to lay or place (one thing) over or upon another.
2. to cover, overspread, or surmount with something.
3. to finish with an overlay: wood overlaid with gold.n.
4. something laid over something else; covering.
5. a superimposed decorative layer.
6. a sheet laid on the tympan of a printing press to increase or distribute the impression.
7. a transparent sheet placed over artwork, a map, or the like for noting corrections, instructions, additional information, etc.
pt. of overlie.
A printing or drawing on a transparent or semi-transparent medium at the same scale as a map, chart, etc., to show details not appearing or requiring special emphasis on the original.
Past participle: overlaid
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||overlay - protective covering consisting, for example, of a layer of boards applied to the studs and joists of a building to strengthen it and serve as a foundation for a weatherproof exterior|
|2.||overlay - a layer of decorative material (such as gold leaf or wood veneer) applied over a surface|
|Verb||1.||overlay - put something on top of something else; "cover the meat with a lot of gravy"|
cover - provide with a covering or cause to be covered; "cover her face with a handkerchief"; "cover the child with a blanket"; "cover the grave with flowers"
splash - mark or overlay with patches of contrasting color or texture; cause to appear splashed or spattered; "The mountain was splashed with snow"
|2.||overlay - kill by lying on; "The sow overlay her piglets"|
kill - cause to die; put to death, usually intentionally or knowingly; "This man killed several people when he tried to rob a bank"; "The farmer killed a pig for the holidays"