overwrite(redirected from overwrote)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Financial, Encyclopedia.
Related to overwrote: overwrought
v. o·ver·wrote (-rōt′), o·ver·writ·ten (-rĭt′n), o·ver·writ·ing, o·ver·writes
1. To cover (something) with writing.
2. To write about in an artificial or an excessively elaborate, wordy style.
a. To destroy or lose (old data) by recording new data over it: accidentally overwrote an important document.
b. To record (new data) on top of already stored data, thus destroying the old data: overwrote an updated document on top of an earlier draft.
To write artificial, excessively elaborate, or wordy prose.
vb, -writes, -writing, -wrote or -written
1. (Literary & Literary Critical Terms) to write (something) in an excessively ornate or prolix style
2. to write too much about (someone or something)
3. to write on top of (other writing)
4. (Computer Science) to record on a storage medium, such as a magnetic disk, thus destroying what was originally recorded there
v. -wrote, -writ•ten, -writ•ing. v.t.
1. to write in too elaborate or prolix a style.
2. to write on or over.v.i.
3. to write too elaborately or lengthily.
Past participle: overwritten
Switch to new thesaurus
|Verb||1.||overwrite - write new data on top of existing data and thus erase the previously existing data; "overwrite that file"|
computer science, computing - the branch of engineering science that studies (with the aid of computers) computable processes and structures