|Dictionary, Encyclopedia and Thesaurus - The Free Dictionary|
6,892,537,728 visitors served.
|Also found in: Legal, Encyclopedia||0.01 sec.|
1. full of nervous tension; agitated
2. too elaborate; fussy: an overwrought style.
3. (Art Terms) (and foll by: with) with the surface decorated or adorned
o•ver•wrought (ˈoʊ vərˈrɔt, ˌoʊ vər-)
1. extremely excited or agitated.
2. excessively complex or ornate.
Thesaurus Legend: Synonyms Related Words Antonyms
1. distraught, upset, excited, desperate, wired (slang), anxious, distressed, tense, distracted, frantic, in a state, hysterical, wound up (informal), worked up (informal), agitated, uptight (informal), on edge, strung out (informal), out of your mind, keyed up, overexcited, in a tizzy (informal), at the end of your tether, wrought-up, beside yourself, in a twitter (informal) When I'm feeling overwrought, I try to take some time out to relax.
distraught controlled, cool, collected, calm, self-contained, unmoved, dispassionate, unfazed (informal), impassive, emotionless
Want to thank TFD for its existence? Tell a friend about us, add a link to this page, or visit the webmaster's page for free fun content.
|Mentioned in||?||References in classic literature||?||Dictionary browser||?||Full browser||?|
This he continued during the whole day with the same result--humiliating disappointment, which overwrought his nerves and made his head ache.
Bravely had she faced the dangers of the mutiny; with heroic fortitude she had looked into the terrible future; but now that the horror of absolute solitude was upon them, her overwrought nerves gave way, and the reaction came.
Her lover must have guessed her overwrought state, and invented some excuse for her non-appearance, for no inquiries were made or calls given.
Overwriting (Computer Science)
|Dictionary, Thesaurus, and Translations|
Free toolbar & extensions |
Word of the Day |
For webmasters: Free content | Linking | Lookup box | Double-click lookup