Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A U-shaped piece of wood that fits under and around the neck of an ox, with its upper ends attached to the bar of the yoke.
a. A U-shaped bend in a river.
b. The land within such a bend of a river.
1. (Agriculture) a U-shaped piece of wood fitted under and around the neck of a harnessed ox and attached to the yoke
2. (Physical Geography) Also called: oxbow lake or cutoff a small curved lake lying on the flood plain of a river and constituting the remnant of a former meander
1. a U-shaped piece of wood placed under and around the neck of an ox with its upper ends in the bar of the yoke.
a. a bow-shaped bend in a river, or the land embraced by it.
b. Also called ox′bow lake′. a bow-shaped lake formed in a former channel of a river.
3. having a compound curve with a concave section between two convex ones.
A sharp, U-shaped bend in a river. ♦ When a river changes its course and cuts through the strip of land in the middle of an oxbow, the water that remains in the former oxbow loop is called an oxbow lake.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||oxbow - the land inside an oxbow bend in a river|
|2.||oxbow - a U-shaped curve in a stream|
meander - a bend or curve, as in a stream or river
|3.||oxbow - a wooden framework bent in the shape of a U; its upper ends are attached to the horizontal yoke and the loop goes around the neck of an ox|
framework - a structure supporting or containing something