painterly(redirected from painterlily)
Also found in: Thesaurus.
1. Of, relating to, or characteristic of a painter; artistic.
a. Having qualities unique to the art of painting.
b. Of, relating to, or being a style of painting marked by openness of form, with shapes distinguished by variations of color rather than by outline or contour.
1. (Art Terms) having qualities peculiar to painting, esp the depiction of shapes by means of solid masses of colour, rather than by lines. Compare linear5
2. (Art Terms) of or characteristic of a painter; artistic
paint•er•ly(ˈpeɪn tər li)
1. characterized by the rendering of forms and images in terms of color or tonal relations rather than contour or line.
2. of or characteristic of a painter.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||painterly - having qualities unique to the art of painting|