Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to palatinate: Rhenish Palatinate
Either of two historical districts and former states of southern Germany. The Lower Palatinate is in southwest Germany between Luxembourg and the Rhine River; the Upper Palatinate is to the east in eastern Bavaria. They were once under the jurisdiction of the counts palatine, who became electors of the Holy Roman Empire in 1356 and were then known as electors palatine.
The office, powers, or territory of a palatine.
(Historical Terms) a territory ruled by a palatine prince or noble or count palatine
1. (Historical Terms) the Palatinate either of two territories in SW Germany, once ruled by the counts palatine. Upper Palatinate is now in Bavaria; Lower or Rhine Palatinate is now in Rhineland-Palatinate, Baden-Württemberg, and Hesse. German name: Pfalz
2. (Historical Terms) a native or inhabitant of the Palatinate
Pa•lat•i•nate(pəˈlæt nˌeɪt, -ɪt)
1. the. German, Pfalz. either of two historic regions of Germany that constituted an electorate of the Holy Roman Empire: one (Lower Palatinate or Rhine Palatinate) is now part of Rhineland-Palatinate, and the other (Upper Palatinate) is now part of Bavaria.
2. a native or inhabitant of the Palatinate.
3. (l.c.) the territory under a palatine.
the office of or territory governed by a nobleman with royal privileges.See also: Government
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Palatinate - a territory in southwestern Germany formerly ruled by the counts palatine|
|2.||palatinate - a territory under the jurisdiction of a count palatine|