Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
para-(word root) close, beside
n, pl -ras or -ra
(Currencies) a monetary unit of Serbia worth one hundredth of a dinar; formerly a monetary unit of Yugoslavia
[C17: Serbo-Croat, via Turkish from Persian pārah piece, portion]
a. a soldier in an airborne unit
b. an airborne unit
2. (Printing, Lithography & Bookbinding) a paragraph
n, pl para or parae
(Plants) a New Zealand fern, Marattia salicina, with long heavy fronds. Also called: horseshoe fern or king fern
1. (Placename) a state of N Brazil, on the Atlantic: mostly dense tropical rainforest Capital: Belém. Pop: 6 453 683 (2002). Area: 1 248 042 sq km (474 896 sq miles)
2. (Placename) another name for Belém
3. (Placename) an estuary in N Brazil into which flow the Tocantins River and a branch of the Amazon. Length: about 320 km (200 miles)
pa•ra1(pɑˈrɑ, ˈpɑr ɑ)
n., pl. -ras, -ra.
a monetary unit of Yugoslavia, equal to 1/100 of a dinar.
[1680–90; < Turkish < Persian pāra literally, piece]
pertaining to or occupying two positions (1, 4) in the benzene ring that are separated by two carbon atoms. Abbr.: p- Compare ortho, meta.
n., pl. par•as. Informal.
n., pl. par•as, par•ae (ˈpær i)
1. Also called parity. a woman's status regarding the bearing of offspring: usu. followed by a numeral designating the number of times the woman has given birth.
2. the woman herself. Compare gravida.
1. a state in N Brazil. 5,522,783; 481,869 sq. mi. (1,248,042 sq. km). Cap.: Belém.
2. a river in N Brazil: the S estuary of the Amazon. 200 mi. (320 km) long.
3. Pará rubber.
1. a prefix appearing in loanwords from Greek, with the meanings “at or to one side of, beside, side by side” (parabola; paragraph), “beyond, past, by” (paradox); by extension designating objects or activities auxiliary to or derivative of that denoted by the base word (parody; paronomasia), and hence abnormal or defective (paranoia). As an English prefix, para-1 is also productive in the naming of occupational roles considered ancillary or subsidiary to roles requiring more training, or of a higher status: paralegal; paraprofessional.
2. a combining form used in the names of benzene derivatives in which the substituting group occupies the para position in the benzene ring. Abbr.: p-Also, esp. before a vowel, par-.
[< Greek para-, comb. form representing pará (preposition) beside, alongside of, by, beyond]
a combining form meaning “guard against”: parachute; parasol.
[< French < Italian para, 3d singular present of parare to prepare against, ward off < Latin parāre to prepare]
a combining form extracted from parachute, forming compounds denoting persons or things utilizing parachutes or landed by parachute: paratrooper.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||para - (obstetrics) the number of liveborn children a woman has delivered; "the parity of the mother must be considered"; "a bipara is a woman who has given birth to two children"|
midwifery, obstetrics, tocology, OB - the branch of medicine dealing with childbirth and care of the mother
|2.||para - 100 para equal 1 dinar in Yugoslavia|
Yugoslavian monetary unit - monetary unit in Yugoslavia
|3.||para - a soldier in the paratroops |
paratroops - infantry trained and equipped to parachute
soldier - an enlisted man or woman who serves in an army; "the soldiers stood at attention"
|4.||Para - an estuary in northern Brazil into which the Tocantins River flows|
|5.||Para - port city in northern Brazil in the Amazon delta; main port and commercial center for the Amazon River basin|