paragraph(redirected from paragraphical)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia.
1. A distinct division of written or printed matter that begins on a new, usually indented line, consists of one or more sentences, and typically deals with a single thought or topic or quotes one speaker's continuous words.
2. A mark ( ¶ ) used to indicate where a new paragraph should begin or to serve as a reference mark.
3. A brief article, notice, or announcement, as in a newspaper.
tr.v. par·a·graphed, par·a·graph·ing, par·a·graphs
To divide or arrange into paragraphs.
[Middle English paragraf, from Old French paragrafe, from Medieval Latin paragraphus, from Greek paragraphos, line showing a break in sense or a change of speakers in a dialogue, from paragraphein, to write beside : para-, beside; see para-1 + graphein, to write; see gerbh- in Indo-European roots.]
par′a·graph′ic, par′a·graph′i·cal adj.
1. (Linguistics) (in a piece of writing) one of a series of subsections each usually devoted to one idea and each usually marked by the beginning of a new line, indentation, increased interlinear space, etc
2. (Printing, Lithography & Bookbinding) printing the character ¶, used as a reference mark or to indicate the beginning of a new paragraph
3. (Journalism & Publishing) a short article in a newspaper
4. (Linguistics) to form into paragraphs
5. (Journalism & Publishing) to express or report in a paragraph
[C16: from Medieval Latin paragraphus, from Greek paragraphos line drawing attention to part of a text, from paragraphein to write beside, from para-1 + graphein to write]
paragraphic, ˌparaˈgraphical adj
par•a•graph(ˈpær əˌgræf, -ˌgrɑf)
1. a distinct portion of written or printed matter dealing with a particular idea, beginning on a new line that is usu. indented.
3. a brief article or notice, as in a newspaper.v.t.
4. to divide into paragraphs.
5. to write or publish paragraphs about.
par`a•graph′ic (-ˈgræf ɪk) adj.
Past participle: paragraphed
A distinct part of a text, usually marked by beginning on a new, indented, line.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||paragraph - one of several distinct subdivisions of a text intended to separate ideas; the beginning is usually marked by a new indented line|
piece of writing, written material, writing - the work of a writer; anything expressed in letters of the alphabet (especially when considered from the point of view of style and effect); "the writing in her novels is excellent"; "that editorial was a fine piece of writing"
|Verb||1.||paragraph - divide into paragraphs, as of text; "This story is well paragraphed"|
|2.||paragraph - write about in a paragraph; "All her friends were paragraphed in last Monday's paper"|
|3.||paragraph - write paragraphs; work as a paragrapher|
authorship, penning, writing, composition - the act of creating written works; "writing was a form of therapy for him"; "it was a matter of disputed authorship"
a part of a piece of writing, marked by beginning the first sentence on a new line and usually leaving a short space at the beginning of the line. There are a couple of paragraphs about football on page three of today's paper. paragraaf فِقْرَه параграф parágrafo odstavec der Abschnitt, der Paragraph afsnit παράγραφοςpárrafo lõik پاراگراف؛ بند kappale paragrapheפסקה अनुच्छेद odlomak (új) bekezdés; cikk paragraf málsgrein paragrafo 段落 단락 paragrafas, pastraipa, skirsnis rindkopa perenggan alineaavsnittakapit دليكنې يوه برخه، بند، پاراګراف parágrafo paragraf абзац odsek odstavek pasus [nytt] stycke, notis ย่อหน้า paragraf (文章的)段，節 абзац پيراگراف، عبارت کا ٹکڑا đoạn văn （文章的）段，节