Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Relating to or forming the wall of a body part, organ, or cavity.
2. Of or relating to either of the parietal bones.
3. Botany Borne on the inside of the ovary wall. Used of the ovules or placentas in flowering plants.
4. Dwelling within or having authority within the walls or buildings of a college.
1. A parietal part, such as a wall or bone.
2. parietals The rules governing the visiting privileges of members of the opposite sex in college or university dormitories.
[Middle English, from Late Latin parietālis, of a wall, from Latin pariēs, pariet-, wall.]
1. (Anatomy) anatomy biology of, relating to, or forming the walls or part of the walls of a bodily cavity or similar structure: the parietal bones of the skull.
2. (Biology) anatomy biology of, relating to, or forming the walls or part of the walls of a bodily cavity or similar structure: the parietal bones of the skull.
3. (Anatomy) of or relating to the side of the skull
4. (Botany) (of plant ovaries) having ovules attached to the walls
5. (Education) US living or having authority within a college
(Anatomy) a parietal bone
[C16: from Late Latin parietālis, from Latin pariēs wall]
pa•ri•e•tal(pəˈraɪ ɪ tl)
1. pertaining to the wall of an organ or cavity.
2. pertaining to or situated near the parietal bones of the skull.
3. proceeding or arising from a wall, as ovules from an ovary in certain plants.
4. pertaining to or having authority over residence within the walls of a college.n.
5. any of several parts in the parietal region of the skull, esp. the parietal bone.
[1590–1600; < Late Latin parietālis of, belonging to walls = Latin pariet-, s. of pariēs wall + -ālis -al1]
Living within or being in authority in a particular college.