Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. The act or technique of laying pavement.
2. A pavement.
3. Material used for pavement.
1. (Civil Engineering) a paved surface; pavement
2. (Civil Engineering) material used for a pavement, such as paving stones, bricks, or asphalt
3. (Civil Engineering) of or for a paved surface or pavement
4. preparatory, facilitating, enabling: paving legislation.
1. a pavement.
2. material for paving.
3. the laying of a pavement.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||paving - material used to pave an area |
asphalt - mixed asphalt and crushed gravel or sand; used especially for paving but also for roofing
concrete - a strong hard building material composed of sand and gravel and cement and water
blacktop, blacktopping - a black bituminous material used for paving roads or other areas; usually spread over crushed rock
macadam - broken stone used in macadamized roadways
|2.||paving - the paved surface of a thoroughfare|
curbside - the side of a sidewalk that is bordered by a curb; "policemen stood at intervals along the curbside"
paved surface - a level horizontal surface covered with paving material
paving stone - a stone used for paving
sidewalk, pavement - walk consisting of a paved area for pedestrians; usually beside a street or roadway
street - a thoroughfare (usually including sidewalks) that is lined with buildings; "they walked the streets of the small town"; "he lives on Nassau Street"
|3.||paving - the act of applying paving materials to an area|