Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Earth, ore, or gravel that is profitable to mine.
2. Informal A useful or profitable discovery or venture.
1. (Mining & Quarrying) a deposit rich enough in minerals to be worth mining
2. strike pay dirt hit pay dirt informal to achieve one's objective
1. soil, gravel, or ore that can be mined profitably.
2. Informal. any source of success or wealth.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||pay dirt - ore that yields a substantial profit to the miner|
ore - a mineral that contains metal that is valuable enough to be mined
|2.||pay dirt - a profitable success; "the inventor worked for years before hitting pay dirt"|
success - a state of prosperity or fame; "he is enjoying great success"; "he does not consider wealth synonymous with success"