payroll

(redirected from payrolls)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia.

pay·roll

also pay roll  (pā′rōl′)
n.
1. A list of employees receiving wages or salaries, with the amounts due to each.
2. The total sum of money to be paid out to employees at a given time.

payroll

(ˈpeɪˌrəʊl)
n
1. (Industrial Relations & HR Terms) a list of employees, specifying the salary or wage of each
2. (Banking & Finance)
a. the total of these amounts or the actual money equivalent
b. (as modifier): a payroll tax.

pay•roll

(ˈpeɪˌroʊl)

n.
1. a list of employees to be paid, with the amount due to each.
2. the sum total of these amounts.
3. the actual money on hand for distribution.
[1765–75]
ThesaurusAntonymsRelated WordsSynonymsLegend:
Noun1.payroll - a list of employees and their salariespayroll - a list of employees and their salaries; "the company had a long payroll"
pay, remuneration, salary, wage, earnings - something that remunerates; "wages were paid by check"; "he wasted his pay on drink"; "they saved a quarter of all their earnings"
register - a book in which names and transactions are listed
2.payroll - the total amount of money paid in wagespayroll - the total amount of money paid in wages; "the company had a large payroll"
amount, amount of money, sum, sum of money - a quantity of money; "he borrowed a large sum"; "the amount he had in cash was insufficient"
3.payroll - the department that determines the amounts of wage or salary due to each employee
department, section - a specialized division of a large organization; "you'll find it in the hardware department"; "she got a job in the historical section of the Treasury"
Translations

payroll

[ˈpeɪrəʊl]
A. Nnómina f (de sueldos)
to be on a firm's payrollestar en la nómina de una empresa
he has 1000 people on his payrolltiene una nómina de 1000 empleados
B. CPD payroll tax Nimpuesto m sobre la nómina

payroll

[ˈpeɪrəʊl] nregistre m du personnel
to be on a firm's payroll → être employé(e) par une entreprise
to be on the payroll → faire partie du personnelpay scale néchelle f des salaires

payroll

[ˈpeɪˌrəʊl] n (list) → lista del personale; (money) → paga (di tutto il personale); (employees) → personale m
to be on a firm's payroll → far parte dell'organico di una ditta
References in classic literature ?
It was said, too, that he had built his brick-kiln in the same way, and that the workmen were on the city payroll while they did it; however, one had to press closely to get these things out of the men, for it was not their business, and Mike Scully was a good man to stand in with.
Remember that I am in your father's employ, and that no matter what my personal convictions may be regarding the work he has been doing I may only act with loyalty to his lightest command while I remain upon his payroll.
The aid of the Pinkertons and of countless private detective agencies was called in, and in addition to this thousands were upon our payroll.
This 12 percent increase, while substantial, pales in comparison to increases for welfare system payrolls, judicial and legal payrolls and health system payrolls.
Indeed, many employers are effectively compelled to overpay their payroll tax obligations because of the difficulties associated with accurately calculating and depositing payroll taxes, especially where multiple payrolls (generated at varying locations), seasonal workforces, and non-routine payments are involved.
A computer study of the payrolls of all 30 major-league teams shows both the Dodgers and Orioles are spending more than $1 million per victory - highest in the majors - yet both clubs are languishing in the depths of the standings.
Bartells works with 26 different craft unions in multiple states, the company must be able to conduct hourly and salaried payrolls that require worker's compensation, taxes and benefits for a specific employee who may have worked on multiple jobs in multiple states within the same payroll period.
amp;uot;The challenge of coordinating multiple payrolls is second nature to us after 50 years in the business.
The complex payroll includes weekly and biweekly payrolls for Avon's executive, sales, manufacturing and customer service staff.
Their Y2K lab is great - we transmitted 3 payrolls while remaining in the same room in the lab environment.
The program works with any state tax structure, and is also able to handle multiple state payrolls.
Third party processors currently serve approximately 40% of the total market (in payroll dollars), while the remaining 60% consists of businesses which continue to process payrolls in-house.