payroll(redirected from payrolls)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia.
pay·rollalso pay roll (pā′rōl′)
1. A list of employees receiving wages or salaries, with the amounts due to each.
2. The total sum of money to be paid out to employees at a given time.
1. (Industrial Relations & HR Terms) a list of employees, specifying the salary or wage of each
2. (Banking & Finance)
a. the total of these amounts or the actual money equivalent
b. (as modifier): a payroll tax.
1. a list of employees to be paid, with the amount due to each.
2. the sum total of these amounts.
3. the actual money on hand for distribution.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||payroll - a list of employees and their salaries; "the company had a long payroll"|
pay, remuneration, salary, wage, earnings - something that remunerates; "wages were paid by check"; "he wasted his pay on drink"; "they saved a quarter of all their earnings"
register - a book in which names and transactions are listed
|2.||payroll - the total amount of money paid in wages; "the company had a large payroll"|
|3.||payroll - the department that determines the amounts of wage or salary due to each employee|