pedate(redirected from pedately)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. Resembling or functioning as a foot: pedate appendages.
2. Botany Having palmately divided lobes with the lateral lobes cleft or divided: a pedate leaf.
1. (Botany) (of a plant leaf) divided into several lobes arising at a common point, the lobes often being stalked and the lateral lobes sometimes divided into smaller lobes
2. (Zoology) zoology having or resembling a foot: a pedate appendage.
[C18: from Latin pedātus equipped with feet, from pēs foot]
1. having a foot or feet.
2. resembling a foot.
3. having divisions like toes.
4. (of a leaf) palmately parted or divided with the lateral lobes or divisions cleft or divided.
[1745–55; < Latin pedātus]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||pedate - of a leaf shape; having radiating lobes, each deeply cleft or divided|
compound - composed of more than one part; "compound leaves are composed of several lobes; "compound flower heads"
|2.||pedate - having or resembling a foot|
footed - having feet; "footed creatures"; "a footed sofa"