Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Idioms, Wikipedia.
tr.v. peeved, peev·ing, peeves
To cause to be annoyed or resentful. See Synonyms at annoy.
1. A vexation; a grievance: My pet peeve is when people chew gum during a lecture.
2. A resentful mood: in a peeve about the delays.
[Back-formation from peevish.]
(tr) to irritate; vex; annoy
something that irritates; vexation: it was a pet peeve of his.
[C20: back formation from peevish]
v. peeved, peev•ing,
1. to render peevish; annoy.n.
2. a source of annoyance or irritation.
3. an annoyed or irritated mood.
[1905–10, Amer.; back formation from peevish]
peeve- A back-formation from peevish, "perverse, obstinate."
See also related terms for perverse.
Past participle: peeved
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||peeve - an annoyed or irritated mood|
|Verb||1.||peeve - cause to be annoyed, irritated, or resentful|