pelagic(redirected from pelagics)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Of, relating to, or living in open oceans or seas rather than waters adjacent to land or inland waters: pelagic birds.
1. (Biology) of or relating to the open sea: pelagic whaling.
2. (Zoology) (of marine life) living or occurring in the upper waters of open sea
3. (Geological Science) (of geological formations) derived from material that has fallen to the bottom from the upper waters of the sea
[C17: from Latin pelagicus, from pelagus, from Greek pelagos sea]
1. of or pertaining to the open seas or oceans.
2. living at or near the surface of the open seas.
[1650–60; < Latin pelagicus < Greek pelagikós=pélag(os) the sea + -ikos -ic]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||pelagic - relating to or occurring or living in or frequenting the open ocean; "oceanic islands like Bermuda"; "oceanic currents"; "oceanic birds"; "pelagic organisms"; "pelagic whaling"|