pellet(redirected from pellets)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. A small, solid or densely packed ball or mass, as of food, wax, or medicine.
a. A bullet or piece of small shot.
b. A stone ball, used as a catapult missile or a primitive cannonball.
tr.v. pel·let·ed, pel·let·ing, pel·lets
1. To make or form into pellets.
2. To strike with pellets.
[Middle English pelet, from Old French pelote, from Vulgar Latin *pilotta, diminutive of Latin pila, ball; akin to pilus, hair (since the balls used in ancient Roman games were stuffed with hair).]
1. a small round ball, esp of compressed matter: a wax pellet.
2. (Firearms, Gunnery, Ordnance & Artillery)
a. an imitation bullet used in toy guns
b. a piece of small shot
3. (Firearms, Gunnery, Ordnance & Artillery) a stone ball formerly used as a catapult or cannon missile
4. (Zoology) ornithol Also called: cast or casting a mass of undigested food, including bones, fur, feathers, etc, that is regurgitated by certain birds, esp birds of prey
5. (Pharmacology) a small pill
6. (Art Terms) a raised area on coins and carved or moulded ornaments
7. to strike with pellets
8. to make or form into pellets
[C14: from Old French pelote, from Vulgar Latin pilota (unattested), from Latin pila ball]
1. a small, rounded body, as of food or medicine.
2. a small wad or ball of wax, paper, etc., for throwing, shooting, or the like.
3. one of a charge of small shot, as for a shotgun.
4. a bullet.
5. a ball, usu. of stone, formerly used as a missile.
6. a small, roundish mass of matter regurgitated by certain predatory birds, consisting of the indigestible remains of the prey.v.t.
7. to hit with pellets.
8. to form into pellets; pelletize.
Past participle: pelleted
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||pellet - a small sphere|
|2.||pellet - a solid missile discharged from a firearm; "the shot buzzed past his ear"|
canister, canister shot, case shot - a metallic cylinder packed with shot and used as ammunition in a firearm
grapeshot, grape - a cluster of small projectiles fired together from a cannon to produce a hail of shot
musket ball, ball - a solid projectile that is shot by a musket; "they had to carry a ramrod as well as powder and ball"
رَصاصَه، كُرَيَّهكُرَةٌ صَغِيرَةٌ
a little ball or similarly-shaped object. He bought a box of lead pellets for his gun. balletjie, korreltjie رَصاصَه، كُرَيَّه топче bolinha kulička, tabletka, brok das Kügelchen kugle σκάγι bolita, perdigón kuulike, haavel ساچمه pelletti boulette, grainכדורית गोली, गुटिका sitna sačma, metak golyócska peluru smákúla pallottola, pallino 小弾丸 작은 알, 산탄 gumulėlis, šratas lodīte; bumbiņa; skrots kacang-kacang balletjeliten kule; haglkulka, ziarenko ګولۍ (لكه ددوا او ډوډۍ): مړ دك، كاړتوس chumbo alică шарик; дробинка; пулька guľka, brok kroglica sačma kula, blyhagel, pellet ก้อนกลมเล็ก ๆ kurşun 小球，小丸，子彈 кулька; дробинка چھرا، گولي viên đạn nhỏ 小球，药丸，子弹