Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to Pentecostal: Pentecostal religion
1. Of, relating to, or occurring at Pentecost.
2. Of, relating to, or being any of various Christian religious congregations whose members seek to be filled with the Holy Spirit, in emulation of the Apostles at Pentecost.
A member of a Pentecostal congregation.
Pen′te·cos′tal·ist adj. & n.
1. (Christian Churches, other) (usually prenominal) of or relating to any of various Christian groups that emphasize the charismatic aspects of Christianity and adopt a fundamental attitude to the Bible
2. (Ecclesiastical Terms) of or relating to Pentecost or the influence of the Holy Ghost
(Christian Churches, other) a member of a Pentecostal Church
ˌPenteˈcostalist n, adj
Pen•te•cos•tal(ˌpɛn tɪˈkɔ stl, -ˈkɒs tl)
1. of or pertaining to Pentecost.
2. noting or pertaining to any of various Christian groups, usu. fundamentalist, that emphasize the activity of the Holy Spirit, stress holiness of living, and express their religious feelings uninhibitedly, as by speaking in tongues.
[1540–50; < Late Latin]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Pentecostal - any member of a Pentecostal religious body|
Pentecostal religion - any fundamentalist Protestant Church that uses revivalistic methods to achieve experiences comparable to the Pentecostal experiences of the first Christian disciples
Protestant - an adherent of Protestantism
|Adj.||1.||pentecostal - of or relating to or characteristic of any of various Pentecostal religious bodies or their members|
|2.||pentecostal - of or relating to or occurring at Pentecost|