Also found in: Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to perdu: Purdue University
per·duor per·due (pər-do͞o′, -dyo͞o′)
A soldier sent on an especially dangerous mission.
[French perdu, masculine past participle, and perdue, feminine past participle (as in sentinelle perdue, lost sentry, sentry posted in a position in which death is likely) of perdre, to lose, from Latin perdere; see perdition.]
1. (Military) obsolete (of a soldier) placed on hazardous sentry duty
2. (Military) obsolete (of a soldier) placed in a hazardous ambush
3. (of a person or thing) hidden or concealed
4. (Military) obsolete a soldier placed on hazardous sentry duty
5. (Military) obsolete a soldier placed in a hazardous ambush
[C16: via French: lost, from perdre to lose, from Latin perdere to destroy]
(Placename) Mont Perdu the French name for (Monte) Perdido
or per•due(pərˈdu, -ˈdyu, pɛr-)
adj., n., pl. -dus or -dues. adj.
1. hidden; concealed; obscured.n.
2. Obs. a soldier assigned to a very dangerous mission or position.
[1585–95; < French: lost, past participle of perdre < Latin perdere to lose; see perdition]