Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Idioms, Wikipedia.
Related to perishing: Pershing
v. per·ished, per·ish·ing, per·ish·es
1. To die or be destroyed, especially in a violent or untimely manner: "Must then a Christ perish in torment in every age to save those who have no imagination?" (George Bernard Shaw).
2. To pass from existence; disappear gradually: "Man will go down into the pit, and all his thoughts will perish" (A.J. Balfour).
3. Chiefly British To spoil or deteriorate.
To bring to destruction; destroy: "Many foul blights / Perish'd his hard won gains" (Thomas Hood).
perish the thought
Used to express the wish that one not even think about something.
1. informal (of weather, etc) extremely cold
2. slang (intensifier qualifying something undesirable): it's a perishing nuisance!.