vomiting(redirected from pernicious vomiting)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Related to pernicious vomiting: pernicious anemia
v. vom·it·ed, vom·it·ing, vom·its
1. To eject part or all of the contents of the stomach through the mouth, usually in a series of involuntary spasmic movements.
2. To be discharged forcefully and abundantly; spew or gush: The dike burst, and the floodwaters vomited forth.
1. To eject (contents of the stomach) through the mouth.
2. To eject or discharge in a gush; spew out: The volcano vomited lava and ash.
1. The act or an instance of ejecting matter from the stomach through the mouth.
2. Matter ejected from the stomach through the mouth.
3. An emetic.
[Middle English vomiten, from Latin vomitāre, frequentative of vomere; see wemə- in Indo-European roots.]
(Medicine) med the act of ejecting the contents of the stomach through the mouth as the result of involuntary muscular spasms of the stomach and oesophagus
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||vomiting - the reflex act of ejecting the contents of the stomach through the mouth|
rumination - regurgitation of small amounts of food; seen in some infants after feeding
hyperemesis - severe and excessive vomiting