|Dictionary, Encyclopedia and Thesaurus - The Free Dictionary|
6,043,919,587 visitors served.
|Also found in: Medical, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia||0.01 sec.|
1. (Life Sciences & Allied Applications / Physiology) the act or process of insensibly eliminating fluid through the pores of the skin, which evaporates immediately
2. (Life Sciences & Allied Applications / Physiology) the sensible elimination of fluid through the pores of the skin, which is visible as droplets on the skin
3. (Life Sciences & Allied Applications / Physiology) the salty fluid secreted through the pores of the skin; sweat
per•spi•ra•tion (ˈpɜr spəˈreɪ ʃən)
1. a salty, watery fluid secreted by the sweat glands of the skin; sweat.
2. the act or process of perspiring.
[1620–30; < French, Middle French]
syn: perspiration, sweat refer to moisture exuded by animals and people from the pores of the skin. perspiration is the more polite word, and is often used overfastidiously by those who consider sweat coarse: a deodorant that retards perspiration. However, sweat is a strong word and in some cases is more appropriate: the sweat of one's brow. sweat is always used when referring to animals: Sweat dripped from the horse's flanks. It may also be used metaphorically of objects: Sweat forms on apples after they are gathered.
Thesaurus Legend: Synonyms Related Words Antonyms
perspiration [ˌpɜːspəˈreɪʃən] N → transpiración f (frm), sudor m
beads of perspiration → gotas fpl de sudor
to be bathed in perspiration → estar bañado en sudor, estar todo sudoroso
perspiration [ˌpɜːrspəˈreɪʃən] n → transpiration f
perspiration → تَعَرُّق pocení perspiration Schweiß εφίδρωση transpiración hiki transpiration znojenje traspirazione 汗 땀 transpiratie transpirasjon pot transpiração потение svett เหงื่อ terleme mồ hôi 汗水
perspiration [ˌpɜːspəˈreɪʃ/ən] n → traspirazione f, sudore m
bathed in perspiration → in un bagno di sudore
n. sudor, transpiración.
Want to thank TFD for its existence? Tell a friend about us, add a link to this page, add the site to iGoogle, or visit the webmaster's page for free fun content.
|Mentioned in||?||References in classic literature||?||Dictionary browser||?||Full browser||?|
"From San Francisco," replied the Woman, with embarrassment, as great beads of perspiration spangled her spiritual brow.
There was a red mark round his forehead where his hat had been, and the perspiration was streaming from his forehead.
Tip groaned, and wiped the perspiration from his forehead with his sleeve.
Perspicua vera non sunt probanda
|Dictionary, Thesaurus, and Translations|
Free toolbar & extensions |
Word of the Day |
For webmasters: Free content | Linking | Lookup box | Double-click lookup