Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to perturbation: Perturbation theory
a. The act of perturbing.
b. The state of being perturbed; agitation.
2. A small change in a physical system, such as a variation in a planet's orbit resulting from the gravitational influence of other celestial bodies.
1. the act of perturbing or the state of being perturbed
2. a cause of disturbance or upset
3. (General Physics) physics a secondary influence on a system that modifies simple behaviour, such as the effect of the other electrons on one electron in an atom
4. (Astronomy) astronomy a small continuous deviation in the inclination and eccentricity of the orbit of a planet or comet, due to the attraction of neighbouring planets
per•tur•ba•tion(ˌpɜr tərˈbeɪ ʃən)
1. the act of perturbing.
2. the state of being perturbed.
3. deviation of a celestial body from a regular orbit about its primary, caused by the presence of one or more other bodies that act upon it.
One space body’s gravitational effect on another’s orbit.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||perturbation - an unhappy and worried mental state; "there was too much anger and disturbance"; "she didn't realize the upset she caused me"|
agitation - a mental state of extreme emotional disturbance
|2.||perturbation - (physics) a secondary influence on a system that causes it to deviate slightly|
natural philosophy, physics - the science of matter and energy and their interactions; "his favorite subject was physics"
influence - the effect of one thing (or person) on another; "the influence of mechanical action"
variation - (astronomy) any perturbation of the mean motion or orbit of a planet or satellite (especially a perturbation of the earth's moon)
|3.||perturbation - activity that is a malfunction, intrusion, or interruption; "the term `distress' connotes some degree of perturbation and emotional upset"; "he looked around for the source of the disturbance"; "there was a disturbance of neural function"|
activity - any specific behavior; "they avoided all recreational activity"
bother, hassle, trouble, fuss - an angry disturbance; "he didn't want to make a fuss"; "they had labor trouble"; "a spot of bother"
magnetic storm - a sudden disturbance of the earth's magnetic field; caused by emission of particles from the sun
|4.||perturbation - a disposition that is confused or nervous and upset|
discomposure - a temperament that is perturbed and lacking in composure
|5.||perturbation - the act of causing disorder|
disturbance - the act of disturbing something or someone; setting something in motion
breakdown, dislocation - the act of disrupting an established order so it fails to continue; "the social dislocations resulting from government policies"; "his warning came after the breakdown of talks in London"
sentimiento de inquietud;
variación anormal de un estado regular a otro.