Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to pharisee: Sadducee
1. Pharisee A member of an ancient Jewish sect that emphasized strict interpretation and observance of the Mosaic law in both its oral and written form.
2. A hypocritically self-righteous person.
1. (Judaism) Judaism a member of an ancient Jewish sect that was opposed to the Sadducees, teaching strict observance of Jewish tradition as interpreted rabbinically and believing in life after death and in the coming of the Messiah
2. (often not capital) a self-righteous or hypocritical person
[Old English Farīsēus, ultimately from Aramaic perīshāiyā, pl of perīsh separated]
1. a member of an ancient Jewish sect that differed from the Sadducees chiefly in its strict observance of religious practices, liberal interpretation of the Bible, and adherence to oral laws and traditions.
2. (l.c.) a sanctimonious, self-righteous, or hypocritical person.
[before 900; Middle English Pharise, Farise, Old English Farīsēus < Late Latin Pharīsaeus < Greek Pharīsaîos < Aramaic pərīshayyā, pl. of pərīshā literally, separated]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||pharisee - a self-righteous or sanctimonious person|
|2.||Pharisee - a member of an ancient Jewish sect noted for strict obedience to Jewish traditions|