piastre(redirected from piasters)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Financial, Encyclopedia.
pi·as·teralso pi·as·tre (pē-ăs′tər, -ä′stər)
1. A unit of currency equal to 1/100 of the primary unit of currency in Egypt and various other countries of the Middle East.
2. Piece of eight.
[French piastre, from Italian piastra, thin metal plate, from Latin emplastrum, medical dressing; see plaster.]
1. (Currencies) (formerly) the standard monetary unit of South Vietnam, divided into 100 cents
2. (Currencies) a fractional monetary unit of Egypt, Lebanon, Sudan, South Sudan, and Syria worth one hundredth of a pound
3. (Currencies) another name for kuruş
4. (Currencies) a rare word for piece of eight
[C17: from French piastre, from Italian piastra d'argento silver plate; related to Italian piastro plaster]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||piastre - a fractional monetary unit in Egypt and Lebanon and Sudan and Syria|
fractional monetary unit, subunit - a monetary unit that is valued at a fraction (usually one hundredth) of the basic monetary unit
|2.||piastre - 100 kurus equal 1 lira in Turkey|
Turkish monetary unit - monetary unit in Turkey
asper - 20 aspers equal 1 kurus in Turkey