Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
(Military) navy old-fashioned slang US a submarine
sub•ma•rine(ˌsʌb məˈrin, ˈsʌb məˌrin)
n., adj., v. -rined, -rin•ing. n.
1. a vessel that can be submerged and navigated under water.
2. something situated or living under the surface of the sea, as a plant or animal.
3. Chiefly Northeastern and North Midland U.S. a hero sandwich.adj.
4. situated, occurring, operating, or living under the surface of the sea.
5. of, pertaining to, or carried on by a submarine.v.i.
6. to participate in the operating of a submarine.
7. to move or slide under something.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||pigboat - a submersible warship usually armed with torpedoes|
attack submarine - a military submarine designed and armed to attack enemy shipping
auxiliary research submarine - a submarine for research purposes
conning tower - a raised bridge on a submarine; often used for entering and exiting
escape hatch - hatchway that provides a means of escape in an emergency
fleet ballistic missile submarine - a submarine carrying ballistic missiles
nautilus, nuclear submarine, nuclear-powered submarine - a submarine that is propelled by nuclear power
periscope - an optical instrument that provides a view of an otherwise obstructed field
schnorchel, schnorkel, snorkel breather, breather, snorkel - air passage provided by a retractable device containing intake and exhaust pipes; permits a submarine to stay submerged for extended periods of time
asdic, echo sounder, sonar - a measuring instrument that sends out an acoustic pulse in water and measures distances in terms of the time for the echo of the pulse to return; "sonar is an acronym for sound navigation ranging"; "asdic is an acronym for antisubmarine detection investigation committee"