pinchbeck(redirected from pinchbeckly)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal.
1. An alloy of zinc and copper used as imitation gold.
2. A cheap imitation.
1. Made of pinchbeck.
2. Imitation; spurious.
[After Christopher Pinchbeck (1670?-1732), English watchmaker.]
1. (Jewellery) an alloy of copper and zinc, used as imitation gold
2. a spurious or cheap imitation; sham
3. (Jewellery) made of pinchbeck
4. sham, spurious, or cheap
[C18 (the alloy), C19 (something spurious): after Christopher Pinchbeck (?1670–1732), English watchmaker who invented it]
1. an alloy of copper and zinc, used in imitation of gold.
2. something sham, spurious, or counterfeit.adj.
3. made of pinchbeck.
4. sham or counterfeit.
[1725–35; after Christopher Pinchbeck (d. 1732), English watchmaker, its inventor]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||pinchbeck - an alloy of copper and zinc that is used in cheap jewelry to imitate gold|
|Adj.||1.||pinchbeck - serving as an imitation or substitute; "pinchbeck heroism"|