Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
a. A tropical American plant (Ananas comosus) having large swordlike leaves and a large, fleshy, edible, multiple fruit with a terminal tuft of leaves.
b. The fruit of this plant.
2. Slang A hand grenade.
[Middle English pinappel, pine cone : pine, pine; see pine1 + appel, apple; see apple.]
1. (Plants) a tropical American bromeliaceous plant, Ananas comosus, cultivated in the tropics for its large fleshy edible fruit
2. (Plants) the fruit of this plant, consisting of an inflorescence clustered around a fleshy axis and surmounted by a tuft of leaves
3. (Firearms, Gunnery, Ordnance & Artillery) military slang a hand grenade
[C14 pinappel pine cone; C17: applied to the fruit because of its appearance]
1. the edible, juicy, collective fruit of a tropical bromeliad, Ananas comosus, that develops from a spike or head of flowers and is surmounted by a crown of leaves.
2. the plant itself, having a short stem and rigid, spiny-margined, recurved leaves.
3. a small hand grenade shaped like a pineapple.
[1655–65; earlier, a pine cone, Middle English pinappel]
- collective fruit - That which is formed from a mass of flowers, as the mulberry, pineapple, etc.
- Hawaiian pizza - A pizza topped with pineapple and ham or prosciutto.
- pineapple - Originally, pineapple was the word for pinecone, since the cone is the fruit of the pine and apple had the former general meaning "fruit"; pineapple is neither "pine" nor "apple," but is a very big berry and is also called "king pine" or "excellent fruit."
- multiple fruit, fruitlet - The pineapple is termed a multiple fruit because it forms from the individual ovaries of several flowers; each raised button on its surface is called a fruitlet.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||pineapple - a tropical American plant bearing a large fleshy edible fruit with a terminal tuft of stiff leaves; widely cultivated in the tropics|
ananas, pineapple - large sweet fleshy tropical fruit with a terminal tuft of stiff leaves; widely cultivated
herb, herbaceous plant - a plant lacking a permanent woody stem; many are flowering garden plants or potherbs; some having medicinal properties; some are pests
|2.||pineapple - large sweet fleshy tropical fruit with a terminal tuft of stiff leaves; widely cultivated|
edible fruit - edible reproductive body of a seed plant especially one having sweet flesh
pineapple[ˈpaɪnˌæpl] n → ananas m inv
a type of large tropical fruit shaped like a large pine-cone, or the plant which produces it. pynappel أناناس ананас abacaxi ananas die Ananas ananas ανανάςpiña ananass درخت آناناس ananas ananasאננס अनन्नास ananas ananász nenas ananas ananas パイナップル 파인애플 ananasas ananass nenas ananasananasananas انه ناس ananás ananas ананас ananás ananas ananas ananas สับปะรด ananas 菠蘿 ананас انناس quả dứa 菠萝