Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
1. Any of various evergreen trees of the genus Pinus, having fascicles of needle-shaped leaves and producing woody seed-bearing cones. These trees are widely cultivated for ornament and shade and for their timber and resinous sap, which yields turpentine and pine tar.
2. Any of various other coniferous trees, such as the Norfolk Island pine.
3. The wood of any of these trees.
v. pined, pin·ing, pines
1. To feel a lingering, often nostalgic desire.
2. To wither or waste away from longing or grief: pined away and died.
To grieve or mourn for.
Intense longing or grief.