pinna(redirected from pinnae)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Related to pinnae: cymba conchae
n. pl. pin·nae (pĭn′ē) or pin·nas
1. Botany A leaflet or primary division of a pinnately compound leaf.
2. Zoology A feather, wing, fin, or similar appendage.
3. Anatomy See auricle.
n, pl -nae (-niː) or -nas
1. (Botany) any leaflet of a pinnate compound leaf
2. (Zoology) zoology a feather, wing, fin, or similarly shaped part
3. (Anatomy) another name for auricle2
[C18: via New Latin from Latin: wing, feather, fin]
n., pl. pin•nae (ˈpɪn i)
1. a primary division of a pinnate leaf.
a. a feather, wing, or winglike part.
b. a fin or flipper.
3. the visible portion of the ear that projects from the head.
[1660–70; < Latin: feather, wing, fin]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||pinna - division of a usually pinnately divided leaf|
leaflet - part of a compound leaf
|2.||pinna - the externally visible cartilaginous structure of the external ear|
tragus - a small cartilaginous flap in front of the external opening of the ear
cauliflower ear - an auricle deformed by injury; common among boxers
cartilaginous structure - body structure given shape by cartilage