pituitary(redirected from pituitary glands)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Related to pituitary glands: Endocrine glands, Thyroid glands
n. pl. pi·tu·i·tar·ies
1. The pituitary gland.
2. Medicine An extract from the anterior or posterior lobes of the pituitary gland, prepared for therapeutic use.
1. Of or relating to the pituitary gland.
2. Of or secreting phlegm or mucus; mucous.
1. (Anatomy) of or relating to the pituitary gland
2. (Physiology) archaic of or relating to phlegm or mucus
[C17: from Late Latin pītuītārius slimy, from pītuīta phlegm]
pi•tu•i•tar•y(pɪˈtu ɪˌtɛr i, -ˈtyu-)
n., pl. -tar•ies,
2. a hormonal extract obtained from pituitary glands for use as a medicine.adj.
3. of, pertaining to, or involving the pituitary gland.
4. noting an abnormal physical type resulting from excessive pituitary secretion.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||pituitary - the master gland of the endocrine system; located at the base of the brain|
ductless gland, endocrine gland, endocrine - any of the glands of the endocrine system that secrete hormones directly into the bloodstream
hypophyseal stalk - the funnel-shaped stalk connecting the pituitary gland to the hypothalamus
adenohypophysis, anterior pituitary, anterior pituitary gland - the anterior lobe of the pituitary body; primarily glandular in nature
neurohypophysis, pars nervosa, posterior pituitary, posterior pituitary gland - the posterior lobe of the pituitary body; primarily glandular in nature
|Adj.||1.||pituitary - of or relating to the pituitary gland; "pituitary hormone"|
n → Hirnanhangdrüse f