Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to platen: platen press
1. The roller in a typewriter that serves as the backing for the paper against which the type bars strike.
2. The roller in a printer against which the print head strikes.
3. A flat plate or rolling cylinder in a printing press that positions the paper and holds it against the inked type.
4. The glass surface of a flatbed scanner.
[Middle English plateine, paten, from Old French platine, metal plate, from plat, flat; see plate.]
1. (Printing, Lithography & Bookbinding) a flat plate in a printing press that presses the paper against the type
2. (Printing, Lithography & Bookbinding) the roller on a typewriter, against which the keys strike
3. (Mechanical Engineering) the worktable of a machine tool, esp one that is slotted to enable T-bolts to be used
[C15: from Old French platine, from plat flat; see plate]
1. a cylinder or flat plate in a printing press for pressing the paper against an inked surface to produce an impression.
2. the roller of a typewriter or impact printer used for guiding paper through the device.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||platen - work table of a machine tool |
table - a piece of furniture having a smooth flat top that is usually supported by one or more vertical legs; "it was a sturdy table"
|2.||platen - the flat plate of a printing press that presses the paper against the type|
plate - a sheet of metal or wood or glass or plastic
|3.||platen - the roller on a typewriter against which the keys strike|
roller - a cylinder that revolves