platoon(redirected from platoons)
Also found in: Thesaurus.
1. A subdivision of a company of troops consisting of two or more squads or sections and usually commanded by a lieutenant.
2. A group of people working, traveling, or assembled together: a platoon of firefighters; buses carrying platoons of tourists.
3. Sports A group of players within a team, especially a football team, that is trained and sent into or withdrawn from play as a unit: the defensive platoon.
v. pla·tooned, pla·toon·ing, pla·toons Sports
To play (a player) in alternation with another player in the same position: platooned the two catchers.
1. To use alternate players at the same position.
2. To take turns playing a position with another player.
[French peloton, from Old French, diminutive of pelote, ball; see pellet.]
1. (Military) military a subunit of a company usually comprising three sections of ten to twelve men: commanded by a lieutenant
2. a group or unit of people, esp one sharing a common activity, characteristic, etc
[C17: from French peloton little ball, group of men, from pelote ball; see pellet]
1. a military unit consisting of two or more squads or sections and a headquarters.
2. a small unit of a police force.
3. a company or group: a platoon of visitors.
4. Football. a group of players specially trained in one aspect of the game, as offense or defense.v.t.
a. to use (a player) at a position in a game alternately with another player.
b. to alternate (two different teams or units).
a. to alternate at a position with another player.
b. to use players alternately at the same position.
c. to alternate different teams.
Platoona squad; a company or set of people, 1711; a small body of soldiers; a burst of gunfire or the like.
Examples: platoon of arguments, 1775; of gunfire (a volley), 1747; of musketeers, 1637; of people, 1841; of troops, 1727.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||platoon - a military unit that is a subdivision of a company; usually has a headquarters and two or more squads; usually commanded by a lieutenant|
army unit - a military unit that is part of an army
armed forces, armed services, military, military machine, war machine - the military forces of a nation; "their military is the largest in the region"; "the military machine is the same one we faced in 1991 but now it is weaker"
company - small military unit; usually two or three platoons
|2.||platoon - a team of policemen working under the military platoon system|
section - a small team of policemen working as part of a police platoon
|3.||platoon - a group of persons who are engaged in a common activity; "platoons of tourists poured out of the busses"; "the defensive platoon of the football team"|
social group - people sharing some social relation
فَصيلَة من الجُنْد
n (Mil) → Zug m
platoon[pləˈtuːn] n (Mil) → plotone m
a section of a company of soldiers. peloton فَصيلَة من الجُنْد взвод pelotão rota der Zug deling διμοιρίαpelotón rühm دسته joukkue sectionמחלקה पलटन vod vojnika, četa szakasz peleton flokksdeild plotone 小隊 소대 būrys (kareivju) vads platun pelotontropppluton بلوك په عسكرى پا يوليس كښى pelotão pluton взвод rota vojaški oddelek vod pluton กอง (ทหาร) müfreze, takım (軍隊的)排 взвод پلٹن trung đội （军队的）排