Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms, Wikipedia.
Related to pocket veto: Signing statement
1. The indirect veto of a bill received by the President within ten days of the adjournment of Congress, effected by retaining the bill unsigned until Congress adjourns.
2. A similar action exercised by a state governor or other chief executive.
1. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) the action of the President in retaining unsigned a bill passed by Congress within the last ten days of a session and thus causing it to die
2. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) any similar action by a state governor or other chief executive
1. an automatic veto of a bill, occurring when Congress adjourns within the ten-day period allowed for presidential action on the bill and the president has retained it unsigned.
2. a similar action on the part of any legislative executive.