Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
Related to podded: podded propulsion, prodded
a. A dehiscent fruit of a leguminous plant such as the pea, splitting along two sides.
b. A dry, several-seeded, dehiscent fruit. Also called seedpod.
2. Zoology An egg case of certain insects, especially a locust or other orthopteran.
3. Geology An deposit of rock or sediment that is much longer than it is wide.
4. A casing or housing forming part of a vehicle, as:
a. A streamlined external housing that encloses engines, machine guns, or fuel.
b. A detachable compartment on a spacecraft for carrying personnel or instrumentation.
5. Something resembling a pod, as in compactness.
v. pod·ded, pod·ding, pods
1. To bear or produce pods.
2. To expand or swell like a pod.
To remove (seeds) from a pod.
A group of marine mammals, such as whales, or of certain other animals, such as hippopotamuses.
1. The lengthwise groove in certain boring tools such as augers.
2. The socket for holding the bit in a boring tool.