Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
A highly poisonous plant (Conium maculatum) in the parsley family, native to Eurasia and Africa and widely naturalized in North America, having a stout stem, bipinnately compound leaves, and compound umbels of small white flowers.
(Plants) the US name for hemlock1
1. a poisonous plant, Conium maculatum, of the parsley family, having finely divided leaves and umbels of small white flowers.
2. a poisonous drink made from this plant.
3. any of various related plants, esp. of the genus Cicuta, as the water hemlock.
4. Also called hem′lock spruce′. any of several tall coniferous trees of the genus Tsuga, of the pine family, having short, blunt needles and small cones.
5. the soft, light wood of a hemlock tree, used in making paper and in construction.
[before 900; Middle English hemlok, humlok, Old English hymlic, hemlic; perhaps akin to Old English hymele hop plant]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||poison hemlock - large branching biennial herb native to Eurasia and Africa and adventive in North America having large fernlike leaves and white flowers; usually found in damp habitats; all parts extremely poisonous|
poisonous plant - a plant that when touched or ingested in sufficient quantity can be harmful or fatal to an organism