Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to polarity: Polarity therapy, Electrical Polarity, Bond polarity
n. pl. po·lar·i·ties
1. Intrinsic polar separation, alignment, or orientation, especially of a physical property: magnetic polarity; ionic polarity.
2. An indicated polar extreme: an electric terminal with positive polarity.
3. The possession or manifestation of two opposing attributes, tendencies, or principles: political polarity.
n, pl -ties
1. the condition of having poles
2. (General Physics) the condition of a body or system in which it has opposing physical properties at different points, esp magnetic poles or electric charge
3. (General Physics) the particular state of a part of a body or system that has polarity: an electrode with positive polarity.
4. the state of having or expressing two directly opposite tendencies, opinions, etc
po•lar•i•ty(poʊˈlær ɪ ti, pə-)
n., pl. -ties.
a. the property or characteristic that produces unequal physical effects at different points in a body or system, as a magnet or storage battery.
b. the positive or negative state in which a body reacts to a magnetic, electric, or other field.
2. the presence or manifestation of two opposite or contrasting principles or tendencies.
3. Ling. the positive or negative character of a word or other item in a language.
The condition of having poles or being aligned with or directed toward poles, especially magnetic or electric poles.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||polarity - a relation between two opposite attributes or tendencies; "he viewed it as a balanced polarity between good and evil"|
|2.||polarity - having an indicated pole (as the distinction between positive and negative electric charges); "he got the polarity of the battery reversed"; "charges of opposite sign"|
n (Phys, fig) → Polarität f
polarity[pəʊˈlærɪtɪ] n → polarità f inv
cualidad de poseer polos;
presentación de efectos opuestos en dos extremos o polos.